Friday 17 February 2012

Pictures from my Sketchbook

I keep a copy of these body measurements close by when I'm sketching at home, I jotted these down quite some time ago and are used as a rough guide only. They act as a reminder as to the dimensions of  an average body!!
You can get a lot more detailed charts by searching online for 'drawing body proportions'

A rough guide to Body Proportion
*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*
Here are a few sketches from my  'People' folder.


I used this position for my Summer Fairy. In the second sketch you can just see where I altered the arm position and a slight tilt in the head. The sketch starts off as a scribble and when I see the line that is right I keep that and erase most of what I don't need.
✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✫
Summer Fairy




A lot of my scribbles and sketches are done on loose paper and I keep them in a folder, this makes it easy for me to keep the same or similar subjects together. I often refer back to old sketches as well as keep adding new ones.

✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✫
✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✫
*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*

Here are a few more, some more successful than others. I like to keep some of my 'not so good' sketches so I can see where I went wrong and what I need to correct.

I love the stance in the centre sketch.

✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✫

*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.✫*¨*


Jan x

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Jan, love the fairies. I did have the proportions chart, really should try using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, you have a great 'perspective', I could never quite get the hang of that. I remember being told once to hold up a pencil and break it down (visually that it), into pieces. Then use your thumb against the paper to determine positioning. I know it works for some ... I still don't quite get it though.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I'll always try to get back to you :)