Sunday 28 June 2015

A Fairy Door & Purple Flowers

A quick update on my previous post of the Purple Field
After a trip back to the field to take some close up photo's of the purple flowers and a bit of a search around the internet, I have found out a bit more about this pretty plant.



It's name is Phacelia Tanacetifolia, some common names are Lacy Phacelia, Tansy Leafed Phacelia or Purple Tansy. It is an annual and grows to a height of 18-24 in. (45-60 cm) the flowering time is late Spring to early Summer.



Its grows well in hot, harsh desert conditions, but adapts easily to other environments, it can be seen across the USA, Europe and now in a few fields in the UK.



The flower spike is lilac/purple and is a favorite of bees. I love the long stamen coming from the center of each flower. Each petal has lots of tiny veins and the foliage is fern-like and lacy in appearance. I picked a couple of stems from the edge of the plot and put them in a vase, they have lasted wonderfully well.



I thought I'd include a picture of one of my Fairy Doors for no other reason than it's colour matches this post.

A Purple & Lilac Fairy Door




Wishing you a great week, I've heard that we in the UK are due a bit of good weather so take care and enjoy.



Jan x

Don't forget to pop over to Lucy Blossom Crafts Linky Party


10 comments:

  1. I like the name Purple Tansy, beautiful plant and think a fairy called Tansy could live behind your door, so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple fairy door! I wish I could find a field of purple field flowers here - all we have are buttercups! (although they are pretty too). Yes! summer is officially on the way - give me half a day and I'll be moaning I'm too hot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photos of a very pretty flower. I love your cute little matching fairy door too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful flower, one of my favourite colours in purple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fairy door! I wondered whether the flowers might be lavender as I know you are in the same neck of the woods as me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! And great close up photos too. I love that sweet little fairy door <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Purple is becoming one of my favorite colors. Never has before, but such a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Purple is becoming one of my favorite colors. Never has before, but such a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Purple is becoming one of my favorite colors. Never has before, but such a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flower images! I don't think I've ever seen that flower before. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I'll always try to get back to you :)